Here is a short video demonstrating how to assemble Eggplant Parmigiana. I used fresh tomatoes, basil and eggplant from my garden. If you plan to make this in the winter when tomatoes are out of season, you can substitute canned tomatoes in juice.
- 3 to 6 eggplant, depending on the size
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 baking sheets with olive oil spray.
- Slice eggplant into ½ inch thick long slices. Place onto a baking sheet and spray top side with olive oil.
- Bake in hot oven for 10 minutes. Flip eggplant, spray top side. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While eggplant is baking, slice tomatoes and fresh mozzarella into ¼ thin slices. Thinly ribbon basil leaves.
- Use a glass 9 inch glass baking dish. Spray bottom and sides with olive oil.
- Begin by adding a layer of tomatoes. Next add a layer of eggplant.
- Add a layer of sliced fresh mozzarella. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the grated parmesan cheese.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 two more times.
- Finish with a layer of the cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove foil from the dish. Let set for 10 minutes, then serve.