I have lots of eggplant growing right now, so I went searching on Pinterest for eggplant recipes. I was inspired by this one. Of course, I had to change it up!
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 large tomatoes, to match the diameter of the eggplant
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Feta, crumbled
- ½ cup fresh pesto
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut of the eggplant crosswise into ½” thick rounds. Lightly season them with salt and leave them for 30 minutes to let water come out of the eggplant. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine olive oil with crushed garlic and black pepper, and brush on top of each slice.
- Grill them on a lightly oiled grill rack for 3 minutes on each side. Brush oil on second side of eggplant before flipping.
- Cut the tomatoes crosswise to 1/4” thick rounds.
- Lightly oil the baking pan. Arrange eggplant rounds side by side. Spread a thin layer of ricotta on each one, then add ½ tablespoon of the pesto. Top each with tomato rings, then sprinkle on feta. Add another layer of eggplant, ricotta, pesto and tomato rounds and top with the rest of the crumbled feta. Drizzle some olive oil on top of each stack.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Bake for 15 minutes.