I seem to continually update my muffin recipes! These healthy zucchini muffins are the ones I used to make samples for the 9th Annual Health & Lifestyle Expo for Women.
This recipe was adopted and modified from Gimme Some Oven blog by Ali. I took out the egg and created a vegan version of these yummy muffins.
It is a vegan recipe, I used flax seed in place of the eggs. It is lightly sweetened with maple sugar and brown sugar.
Makes 12 large or 20 small muffins
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ coconut oil or butter, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3 cups zucchini, grated
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (NOT instant)
Healthy Zucchini Muffins Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray muffin pans with canola oil spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax seed and water. Stir thoroughly and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and flax seed/water to the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Grate zucchini. Fold into batter along with the rolled oats.
- Place into muffins tins.
- For large muffins, bake for 18 to 20 minutes and for mini muffins bake 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffin pans from oven. Transfer to a cooling rack for 5 minutes.