Delicious salmon chowder made with fresh potatoes and salmon!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, inner leafy stalks
- 32 ounces fish stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 red potatoes
- 12 ounces cooked salmon
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- In a medium large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the leeks and simmer on low until translucent. Add the fish stock, and bay leaf, and simmer 5 minutes on medium high heat.
- Reduce heat, and add the chopped carrots, celery and potatoes. Cover and simmer until potatoes are soft and just start to fall apart around the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Add the salmon, cut into small pieces.
- Then add the half & half and stir to mix.
- Place the arrowroot or cornstarch in a small bowl, add 1 tbs water and mix. Slowly stir into soup letting the soup thicken.
- Add the butter and remove from heat. Add salt, pepper, cayenne and fresh dill. Garnish with additional fresh dill and a small amount of lemon, if desired when serving each bowl.