Steel cut oatmeal typically takes 45 minutes to cook. Who has time for that in the morning? Well here is a make-ahead steel cut oatmeal recipe that is made the night before in just minutes! My daughter originally found this recipe at the kitchn website. We’ve now made it many times and slightly revised it.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil , butter or Earth Balance spread (vegan butter substitute)
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened soy milk or any other milk of your choice. Use unsweetened.
- 2 bananas
- blueberries or other frozen berry or in season fruit
- Use a medium saucepan preferably with a heavy bottom. Turn heat to medium, melt oil or buttery spread.
- Add the steel cut oats, and stir occasionally until they are slightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water. Turn heat to high and bring to a rolling boil.
- Turn off the heat, add the flax seed, vanilla and cinnamon. Cover the pan, leave it on the stove, and go to sleep!
- The following morning, uncover the pan and stir. Reheat the oatmeal at a low heat until warm.
- Serve with a little of your favorite unsweetened vegan milk, sliced banana and your favorite fruit.
- You can save extra for another morning, place in a container and store in your refrigerator.
If you like this recipe, try another oatmeal option.