This white bean stew uses small white beans, black olives and mushrooms, a superfood!
- 4 cups small white beans, dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 onions
- 3 green or red bell peppers
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 to 8 fresh tomatoes
- 1 small can black olives, sliced in rings
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, optional
- brown rice, cooked
- Cook beans. I use a pressure cooker.
- Prepare the vegetables. Chop onions and peppers, keeping them separate. Slice mushrooms. Set all aside
- Add olive oil to a large pot, and turn heat to medium high. After one minute, add the onions and stir. Simmer 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the chopped peppers. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 4 minutes more.
- Add the cooked beans, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir thoroughly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the parmesan cheese.
Serve over brown rice.