This recipe for Tuscan white bean soup is hearty. It is a meal by itself, or serve with bread and a salad.
Serves 6-8 for a meal
- 1 pound white beans
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ small bunch celery
- 1½ tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini
- ¼ head white cabbage
- ¼ bunch parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice from fresh lemon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Cook white beans until done, reserving cooking liquid. Cook in pressure cooker about 25 minutes or soak overnight and cook on stove until soft.
- Dice onion, carrot and celery and tomato. Keep tomato separate from other ingredients. Slice cabbage thinly, cut zucchini into thin half slices, and keep them separate from carrots, celery and onion. Press garlic and set aside. Remove stems from parsley and mince, keep separate.
- In a large stockpot, turn heat to medium. Add olive oil, wait one minute and then add chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Adjust flame as needed.
- Add chopped zucchini, cabbage, tomato and spices, except parsley.
- Add beans and reserved liquid. Adjust flame. Mix well, and continue to cook about 10 minutes more, stirring to prevent sticking and burning in bottom of pot.
- Blend about 2/3 of the soup in a blender, transferring to a second pot. Add 1/3 of them mixture left whole. Add lemon juice and minced parsley. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
Enjoy with a green salad or whole wheat bread.