Mousakka is a greek dish made with a layer of potatoes and eggplant in a tomato herb sauce and covered with a creamy bechamel sauce. Traditionally it’s made with ground lamb, but this version omits the meat.
This vegetarian mousakka recipe is in 3 parts: tomato herb sauce, bechamel sauce, and final assembly of dish. To create a shopping list from the ingredients, scroll through all 3 parts.
Part 1 — Tomato Herb Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- ½ large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 16oz cans diced tomatoes in juice
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 ½ tablespoons basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- ½ tablespoon chervil
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Sauté onions and bell pepper in olive oil on medium heat.
- After five minutes, add mushrooms and garlic, continue to simmer until onions are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine, diced tomatoes and spices. Stir well and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes.
Part 2 — Bechamel Sauce
- ¼ pound butter, 1 stick
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups milk or coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- In saucepan, melt butter on low heat. Add flour, and whisk into flour until it’s smooth. Continue cooking on a low heat for two full minutes, stirring and not letting it brown.
- Warm milk in separate pan and then slowly add to butter, a bit at a time, using whisk to keep it smooth. Let thicken, stirring.
- Add spices and remove from heat. Cover pan with a lid while you assemble the mousakka.
Part 3 — Assembly of dish
- olive oil
- 6 medium gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 medium eggplant
- 2½ cups crumbled feta cheese
- 3 cups jack cheese, grated
- ¼ cup dry or 1 cup fresh oregano
- Parboil sliced potatoes until soft, but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain pan.
- Slice eggplant into ¼ inch thick circles. Place on lightly oiled cookie sheets. Salt lightly and bake in a preheated oven at 325° for 15 minutes. Flip and bake 10 minutes more.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil in bottom of 9 x16 (3 quart pyrex) casserole dish. Layer in potaot slices. Sprinkle on oregano and 1 cup crumbled feta. Spoon on 4 cups sauce.
- Layer half of eggplant, half of grated jack cheese, 2 cups feta and 4 cups sauce.
- Repeat step 4.
- Pour bechamel evenly over top.
- Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Let cool and serve.